My focus in my career has been having an impact on the problems facing our society from our own generated externalities. I've taught myself a substantial amount of my own skillsets through bootstrapping efforts when necessary; this is often my preferred method. The cycle of having to know how to do something, learning the skillset, and then immediately applying it drives me more than any kind of formal education I've been exposed to.
Firms I have founded
- DexGrid: Giving communities the tools they need to launch their own standalone, affordable electric grids.
- WattWatt: Decentralized funding for the solar industry.
My primary lessons I've walked away from is how to function with other people and how people can function in high stress, small team environments. In addition, my work at these companies required substantial amounts of innovative thinking to solve our customer and our own problems with low cost solutions.
While I have not continued to work on these startups, I've gained substantial experience and displayed substantial ability in operating and developing the product suites of both firms enough to convince customers and investors to buy-in.
Firms I've worked at
- Tesla Energy: Setting up a new engineering design team in Mexico City during several mergers and opening up of a new, foreign market for our new products.
- SolarCity: Designing thousands of solar PV residential rooftop systems and managing these projects through installation and until the customers were satisfied.
- Arcadis US: Reviewed energy efficiency applications for NYSERDA incentive program and conducted on-site inspections.
- Monolith Solar: Designed electrical 3-line and layout diagrams for solar panel installations. Worked with New York State municipalities to attain building, electrical, and zoning permits.
- Baruch ’60 Center for Biochemical Solar Energy Research: Designed electrical 3-line and layout diagrams for solar panel installations. Worked with New York State municipalities to attain building, electrical, and zoning permits.
- Warm Heart Worldwide: Partnered with university professors and Thai engineers on design of pig farm biodigester. Mapped out Phrao valley region using GPS and Google Earth to encourage tourism.
- Smith Maritime: Helped in many different tasks during the operation of tugboats working the Gulf Coast oil patches and the
Atchafalaya River in Louisiana. Included nighttime shifts on watch on the bridge and engine room as well as maintenance work at dock and early morning line operations to move around vessels.